Friday, July 15, 2011

A rubbery return

 Just to warn readers, if you are worried about reading spoilers on the newest issues of Flashpoint - do not read any further if you want to be surprised on your own, without my help.


Here we go. In case you haven't been following/have no interest in reading the newest Flashpoint series, Plastic Man is back in all his rubbery glory. I thought this needed to be posted since I was hoping he wouldn't be cut out during the revamp and reissuing of the 52 titles in September. His return made me confident that his character is here to stay, and more importantly, to play a bigger role than I ever could have expected.

Back in the days when Plas was nothing more than a criminal, Patrick "Eel" O'Brian lived his life as a safe cracker in a gang, but when a heist went wrong, he was accidentally exposed an unknown chemical, which changed his body drastically, giving him the ability to stretch, bend, expand, shrink and twist every single inch of his body. He then devoted his life thereafter to fighting crime. In the Flashpoint universe, Plastic Man is a superpowered bad guy. Not much has been said about him yet, since technically the only thing he's done so far was grotesquely force himself out of another person's body through their mouth.

Plas in all his glory in the first issue of Flashpoint: Legion of Doom


Dont' get me wrong, this definitely wasn't a bad thing. It was actually one of the more amusing, intense moves I've read in a comic in a long time, it was only a tiny bit out of character - which I enjoy for this series. I just don't want him to stay this way forever, although a bit more of a violent, out of control Plastic Man ala TDKSB* post-Flashpoint would be refreshing.



To me, Plastic Man has always been one of the greatest, most original heroes. His origin story is an amazing tale of redemption, changing his criminal ways to protect the innocent - so why change it after 70 years?

No comments:

Post a Comment